Monday, August 01, 2011

Neil and God

Neil has had an interesting relationship with God. While my DH and I are not really religious, we do have our beliefs in a higher power. We dont actively practice our religion (Hinduism) so we have never really spoken about the concept of God or faith or religion in our house. Neil has shown an active interest in hindu religious customs from early on - possibly due to my mother-in-law living with us off and on and her being extremely religious. So it shouldnt have surprised me when he asked me on July 31st night, "Mom, can I pray to God?". Of course yes, I said. So he sat in front of the idols we have clasping his hands, thinking. Then he turned to me and asked, "what should I pray mom". To which I replied that he could thank God for everything he has: a good home, great family, loving parents etc. He started thinking and then popped the question: is God like us? Is he a person like us? Hmm, how was I to answer that one? I said no because I dont believe in God as a person. I tried saying something like God is a higher power than people that we cannot see and cannot fully understand. Quite an obtuse answer if I say so myself! :D But clearly I wasnt prepared. Maybe if I were religious, I would be prepared but that really goes against my person. Then came the next question: if God isnt a person, how did he make all of us and everything around us like trees, animals and all that? Err, I dont really know. (see, only ppl can "make" things...). So I tried another obtuse explanation like its a force that we cannot understand that created everything around us before we were created. He was either satisfied or he gave up thinking mom's gone cuckoo! Then he turned around and prayed: "Thank you God for everything you have given me: my home, my family and my toys. I love my mom, my dad, my grandparents. And I love YOU."

Regardless of whether I truly believe in the concept of God or a higher power that doesnt translate to religion, my little one does have a relationship with HIM that I dont quite understand! Ah, what a precious little 4 year old! :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home